Thread: Supporters?
View Single Post
07-22-09, 02:04 PM   #43
carboniteaddon
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
If time to work on Carbonite is EXTREMELY limited to a few hours a month then maybe it's time to accept help from the public. There are plenty of talented people here that will gladly help for free.
Help from others would require sharing our source code, which none of us want to do. I've been a programmer for over 20 years. I have never given my code away. To me it is like gold. It is my trade skill in this life. It is what supports my family. Open source and public domain is fine for those who wish to do that and I am glad many of those projects exist like Firefox, but those programmers make a living from some other source or they would be living on the street or in their parents basement.

I've been on many different game teams, small and large. I know all about the inefficiencies (communication, planning, code merging/review, egos) involved. Each body makes it worse. I don't like or want the drama.

Originally Posted by Sepioth View Post
BUT we do expect some support. I constantly see questions of help here on the Carb forums. 99.9% of these are answered by myself and other WoWI users and not the Carb team. Forum support is just as good as product updates.
Except for the fact that I found a lot of posts not answered from the last several weeks. I wish 99.9% of those were answered, so I would not have to. You want to help? Answer more forum posts. Write tutorials. Post about missing quests by actually telling us the verified correct location(s). Give someone a hug and tell them how you luv Carbonite.

Unfortunately there are some type of posts no one but I can answer, since they require detailed knowledge of how the code works. I will try to keep up with those better. No guarantees, but I will try.