View Single Post
01-18-06, 03:15 AM   #11
Xageroth
An Aku'mai Servant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
ok, now that I have had a few hours to test out my changes I see that most of the issues have been fixed which leaves 1 major issue which can actually be seen as 2 separate issues.

The first issue is how a camera is positioned in relation to the model. As far as I know, there is no way to determine a models relative scale to other models with the current interface API. Added to the fact that the camera is positioned the same regardless of the model it is looking at, means that "shoulders up" for one model won't be "shoulders up" for another. If you position the camera to be waist up on a human model, you'd be lucky to see the top of a gnomes head when the models change.

If I were able to get a models scale relative to other models, I would be able to offset the camera positioning and fix this issue. So until I find a creative way to hack a solution for this or Blizzard kindly adds a way to handle this, this particular issue is here to stay.

The second issue is some bizarre quirkiness with how camera settings are applied when models change. I haven't quite figured the cause of this.

When I set a model, adjust the position, then update the model, it will appear as if I have no applied any position changes. This is reasonable at first glance because you assume each model change results in a clean slate as far as camera changes goes. However! If you re-apply the position changes, there still isn't any change!

The code currently available attempts to force a change by following this logic:

Render Tauren Model
Adjust horizontal positon to +5
Clear the Tauren Model
Adjust horizontal position to 0
Render the Orc Model
Adjust horizontal positon to +5

By first setting the position to 0 then back to 5, I try to trick the engine into forcing a position change. This works fine for the player model (as evident when changing forms, or unequiping gear, which runs my model refresh code). Doesn't seem to work for anything else.

So there's my progress in a nutshell. I am actively working for a solution. In the meantime I may divert my attention towards some of the really desirable features like a configuration menu. I'll also likely be busy the rest of this week, so sorry if I am slow to respond.