Thread: Hackers
View Single Post
10-12-09, 04:25 PM   #1
Djinn.Crimsora
An Aku'mai Servant
Hackers

Hey guys!

I want to put this all out to you guys, since there's been a huge influx of account-hacking over the last few months. After having been hacked just yesterday as well as almost a year ago (with having gotten a new computer in between), there are only a few things that I can think of that hackers are using to get account info on us these days.

First up: the sites we visit. I may have accidentally hit gold-farmer sites on my old machine, leading to my account being hacked a year ago, but the majority of potential hacker-homes are quite possibly websites hosting free ****. I highly advise avoiding websites that offer free **** videos/images, especially ones that offer downloads as well as online/in-browser viewing. The files these websites latch into your system, which I've found you CANNOT remove, even with a binary-overwriter such as AbsoluteShield FileShredder, sink themselves into important system folders that are deep and out of the way.

Secondly: the addons we have come to rely on in this day and age. I myself am starting to question whether I should even bother keeping Atlasloot Enhanced, as that's the only mod from when I got hacked last year that I'm still using today. Even though I get it from Curse.Com, there's still the risk that the files were contaminated with hacker files, so I'm going to be removing almost all addons, sans nUI.

Just thought I'd put out these bits of advice while I wait for word from a GM about them restoring all my stuff/gold the hacker stole.