View Single Post
02-07-10, 09:39 AM   #54
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Grimsin View Post
WOW is going down the road of vanity? are you blind or was wow your first MMO? its always been a vanity game.
No one said it wasn't a vanity game. The point was that the development path has taken a much more aggressive approach to feeding this vanity, not that the vanity was a new thing. Just about everything in the game's evolution is bringing it down to nothing more than a "fantasy shooter" with cute toys and different ways of looking "pretty".

Honestly though, for those of you out there who were "hardcore" players during the vanilla run, did anyone imagine they would ever see a horde paladin or an alliance shaman? I sure didn't. At one time, it was a horde player's "rite of passage" to make fun of paladins. Same with alliance and shamans.

The time when epic mounts meant something are missed. Know what I mean? If you saw a player riding a kodo, it was a tauren damn it and that's the way it was supposed to be! There's no telling what we might be able to buy this time next year. Scroll of instant max level? Scroll of instant flying mount? Heirloom scroll of "mine's bigger"?

Anyway, once again, the point wasn't that vanity is new. It's that it's too much of an influence and has/is making drastic changes (both planned and unplanned) in the game.