View Single Post
07-04-10, 02:41 AM   #10
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Going to be multi-quoting a lot of these posts as I can see there's a few things I can add/ misconceptions I can clear up from my time on the Official CS Forums. Spending time on the official forums am I insane ?? Yes I think so sometimes

Warning this post is going to be extremely verbose as 1) I have a lot ot say and 2) I'm a verbose type of guy who enjoys explaining things as clearly as I can and 3) Please see my tag under my name over on the left there "Verbose energizer bunny" (at least until Caireen changes it)
Originally Posted by Flarin View Post
I just did a Spybot Search and Destroy - nothing found at all.
There are certain programs that are more effective then others for getting rid of keyloggers/malware.

Unfortunately some are about as effective slapping your computer with a wet napkin. The best advice here is to use several of them. I've never been comprimised so my best advice is to visit the CS forums for suggestions on exactly what to use.

My suggestions would be Avast & Malwarebytes as well as a scan with Combofix. Again ask around on the CS forums for the ones best to use.
Which makes me wonder - WHY did I link them to ONE battlenet account? At worst ONE account would have been compromised - now I have all three. Battlenet - not sure I am liking this now.
Concerns about consolidation aside the real advantage of battle.net is you are now able to easily change your login name. All you need to do is change the email address and the email you use to log into wow changes. Takes seconds.

You were not able to do this with the old security system.
THAT - is definitely a possibility for sure. Can't hurt to change email addresses - they kept resetting my password every 10 minutes or so until I finally changed it. Drastic sure, but since I changed my email address it has stopped.
This is concerning. Are you saying your email account was hacked as well or are you saying it's stopped because you changed your battle.net email address.

Because if your main email account has been hacked you might want to look into that as well.There would be more important stuff linked to that then wow EG ebay stuff as well as your online banking details.
Originally Posted by mrruben5 View Post
1. Change password to a different, non-repeating(use the password once, and never use it again after) password every week.
2. Change email address every half year.
It takes a few minutes to change your battle.net email address. Thereby invalidating one piece of information the hackers use to get into your account.

It used to be if they had your account name they had it forever and could keep hacking you that way. Change the b.net email address as well and they don't have the login nor the password to get in.

With most good email providers you can also set it up to also check emails on other email accounts. That way you can link in the old battle.net emails into your main email and not have to waste time checking dozens of other email addresses for emails.
Originally Posted by MoonWitch View Post
Honestly, I strongly feel that at this point - quite a few of the hacks now are a marketing fear method to sell a tun more of those authenticators :P (Note: my account has been nicely safe for several months.)
Moonwitch I don't think that Blizzard makes a profit on the authenticators. Let me explain my logic.

First off Blizzard do not make the authenticators. They buy them off Vasco. Bear this in mind when talking about making a profit of authenticators - you would need to factor in the cost for Blizzard to buy them and if they get them delivered to them or they get a third party to get them shipped to the customer.

Secondly been forum posters on the CS forums whose day job is company security. Who have on behalf of professional and corporate clients have
ordered authenticators at a similar quantity that Blizzard would possibly buy them at. The cheapest I've seen is about $8.50 for approx. 10,000 of them. I do not believe Blizzard buy more then that at once as if they don't sell they effectively have "dead stock" (ie stock in their storage space they can't sell yet but take up storage space anyway)

Finally how much does it cost Blizzard to restore an account ? Ticket queues are currently 10 days. There's a lot of logs Blizzard has to go through and there is usually at least two staff members involved - the one who gets the original tickets as well as the special person (*) who has to do the restoring.

If it costs more to restore the account then whatever money they would lose by taking a cut in profits from authenticator sales what direction would you take ?

Personally I would take the maybe $5 or $6 cut in profits per authenticator then have to deal with the possibly greater cost to the business of having company resources tied up restoring the account.

EDIT (*) Want to use this word here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spe******t But the silly word filter keeps censoring it !!!!
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 07-04-10 at 02:45 AM.