View Single Post
07-26-10, 02:37 PM   #821
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ezarra View Post
Spoke too soon. the installer crashes about 2% in when run under a standard user account. It too must be run under an account with admin rights. Security? Why would you want security?

If the beta or the game requires admin rights to run, I guess I will not be testing or upgrading. I simply refuse to run applications that require admin accounts.
The default set up of most OS X installs particular ones you buy from a store these days is protect normal users from modifying the Applications folder

[08:32][/]$ ls -l / | grep App
drwxrwxr-x+ 104 root admin 3536 27 Jul 08:27 Applications
Applications is part of the admin group and hence needs to have a member of the admin group to modify it.

Yes. When you're on an admin user you can do irreparable harm to your hard drive if you don't know what you are doing. But it doesn't mean every program asking to be installed on an admin user is a maliciously underhanded program. You just need to know what you are doing , know where it's installing stuff and most importantly have a good backup system !
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)