View Single Post
03-30-11, 05:39 PM   #5
tenub
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Aprikot View Post
Can we define hype for this thread? Percentage of compilation uploads you've seen this year? Percentage of total screenshots you've seen in your life?

Which UIs do you think have done so, and why?
I check wowuigallery and new uploads on this site pretty regularly thinking that there might be a new, fresh, unique UI released. If I had to guess, at least half of the UIs posted are using some sort of pixel font that looks terrible. IMO only Semplice and Silkscreen should ever be used if a pixel font is required for some reason. There are one or two other decent fonts out there as well whose names escape my mind.

If one could compare pixel-font-based UIs to raiding guilds, Carebear UI is Paragon and LED is vodka. Paragon is way up there on a whole other level, significantly above the rest, and vodka is pretty damn good. The fault with LED's UI IMO is that it suffers from legibility issues. The text is just way too small. On the other hand, Carebear does everything right. Text is small, but not ridiculous and he can get away with it because he chose a crisp and legible font (I believe it's Semplice, correct me if I'm wrong). Everything else stands out to the viewer and information can immediately and easily be gathered without having to squint or look away in dismay from a poor font choice.