View Single Post
11-19-13, 08:59 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by jjforums View Post
Is there a reason not to add these codes to the gametooltip?
An addon may want more features than the GameTooltip provides. For example, if an addon wants a tooltip with 3+ columns, embedded images or 3D models, more than one heading (a line of text that's larger), horizontal rules, background colors, etc. it will have to create its own (possibly using a library like LibQTip) because the GameTooltip doesn't support those things.

Another reason an addon might create its own tooltip would be to save space. I don't use Auctioneer, but based on the screenshots I've seen of its tooltips, I'm guessing this is why it adds a second tooltip instead of adding info directly to the GameTooltip. Imagine you're looking at the tooltip for a piece of BOE gear that already has 15 lines of text just for the item + 10 lines from RatingBuster + 5 lines from Enchantrix + etc. If Auctioneer goes ahead and adds its 15 lines of text to the GameTooltip, it's a very real possibility that the tooltip isn't going to fit on the screen anymore for some people. It's safer with that many extra lines to attach a second tooltip to the side of the GameTooltip instead.

Also, this allows Auctioneer to easily support tooltips that aren't the GameTooltip -- such as the tooltip for battle pets -- and don't support adding extra custom lines.