Thread: TBC UI Changes
View Single Post
10-16-06, 10:43 AM   #65
sid67
A Cliff Giant
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
C) I do understand why Blizzard opened up the API. They did so because they hoped it would improve everyone's game play. It would allows every user to have a setting which fits their game play. However, they did so in the hope that these addons *did not provide an unfair advantage over users using the stock UI*. Yes, *THAT* was the condition. Now I DARE you to explain to me how someone using decursive didn't have an unfair advantage over someone using the stock UI.
Using that same logic, I DARE you to explain to me how any map mod is not an unfair advantage to another user using the stock UI. You can add notes to your map, locate your position on the map, and have instance maps (with boss info) in areas where the default UI wont even show maps. Metamap even keeps a knowledgebase of the location of mobs you have seen. Gatherer tells you where mining/herb nodes are located. If two people are competing for the same type nodes in a location, the one using Gatherer has a distinct unfair unadvantage over the other. What about mods that announce what the Boss is doing? Or mods that allow the player frames to show more debuffs. Or mods that show you what your target is casting by parsing the combat log.

ANY of those mods could be considered an unfair advantage over someone using the stock UI. That's why people use these addons--because they can do it better than with the default UI.

So the question is not whether or not these addons make the game inherently more unfair to users of the stock UI, the question is about a matter of degrees. How much MORE unfair does it make it than we (Blizzard) find acceptable?

Will you still need addons to raid effectively in 2.0? If you want to be the best you possibly can be it will. I'm not saying you can't be good without addons, I'm saying that addons will make any player better if they decide to use them. Addons are still going to be guild requirements for raiding.

This isn't an issue about Blizzard saying, "we want the game to be fun without addons". They have-to know that addons will still be just as prevalent as they are today. They will still be required for guild raid runs. Players who want to be the best they can be will still be installing addons. This is an issue where Blizzard decided that addons went too far and they want to limit functionality of a specific type of addon.