View Single Post
05-09-19, 11:57 AM   #19
myrroddin
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by SDPhantom View Post
From what I've seen, the Classic client is a backported BfA client with several features stripped out to simulate the Vanilla client. As such, addons written for Vanilla will likely not work in Classic.
Definitely all speculative, but the going theory is that Classic is an emulated version 1.12 of the game, while the Lua code will be 8.x with several components stripped out.

We don't know for sure yet, but that's the theory. Blizzard doesn't want us writing the original Decursive or Augmented Virtual Reality (AVR) again, nor will we be popping open the Collections tab because it won't exist. However we might be using 8.x code to summon a random mount or pet.

One major complete rewrite was the combat log with patch 2.4. Any addons written to use the combat log prior to that patch broke, and while Classic is 1.12, I'll bet it is using the 2.4+ version of the log.

Given that Classic is coming in a short handful of months, I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't dumped the UI code or given us access to test things.