View Single Post
07-24-07, 09:51 AM   #1
Lieandra
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

Exclamation Recount Addon Virus ??

Scenario:

I play WoW on 2 computers (one at home and one at work). Since I do most of my addon up-dating at home, I tend to eMail the interface folder to myself at work. That helps me make sure that I have the same thing on both computers - hey, I'm a bit lazy too.

As I want to make sure that I receive the Zipped file at work. I eMail the file to both my Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

Well, at first I used very little addons, cartographer, mining, herbalism, etc.; and eMailing them to myself caused no problems.

But now I started using more addons - from WowAce.com - and have encountered a problem.

I went to work and attempted to download the interface zipped folder and hotmail blocked it as containing a virus.

So I came back home and scanned my WoW addons folder with Avast. Nothing showed as a virus. So I conducted a long process of file eMail elimination to figure it out. Meaning I took the files in the addons folder and divided them - subtracting the Blizzard addons into one group and my downloaded ones as another group. Checked to see what Hotmail said. Deleted the good non-virus zip file. Extracted and divided into two new zip files the attachment Hotmail said was viral.

I repeated the above process until I found the addon named "Recount" to be at fault.

Not being satisfied with just knowing what addon is showing on Hotmail as a virus. I did the same process of dividing and eMailing the contents of the Recount addon folder.

Within the Recount addon. I found the file that flags as a virus to Hotmail is a Targa image called "Line".

HotMail ScreenShot 02

(Locate the file in this tree sequence: "Your Drive Letter":\WoW\World of Warcraft\Interface\AddOns\Recount\libs\GraphTextures)

The file line.tga is the only one within recount that shows on Hotmail as viral. I was able to receive the file with no claim to be a virus on Gmail.

Curiosity as it is. I also eMailed the line.tga to a Yahoo account. Yahoo does not see this as a virus either.

So. My questions to you:

1. Is this Recount line.tga file a virus?
2. Has anyone ever encountered an addon being a virus?
3. If so: which ones?
4. How were you able to check and see that there is a Virus Addon ->
*** ** *(ie. Avast does not recognize it as such, Gmail does not recognize it as such, but Hotmail does.)?
5. What means of protection do you use in order to avoid getting a viral addon on your computer?

~Lie

Last edited by Lieandra : 07-24-07 at 09:55 AM.