View Single Post
09-12-08, 01:01 PM   #11
kerrang
A Flamescale Wyrmkin
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by septor View Post
IThink about your browser; does it have a pop-up blocker? If so, do you use it? If you answered yes you should totally understand why this is a very bad idea.
Popup Blockers aren't the best example because

a) the VAST majority of people using the web don't use them
b) if more people DID use them, the economy of the Net would unravel as SO much of the Net relies on ads being 'seen' (we've already seen companies threatening to boycott Firefox for it's built-in blocker for example!)

When I tried Google Chrome last week I could not BELIEVE how much crap Firefox was blocking for me - but that also means that I've been 'freeloading' content of course

I'd guessed people wouldn't be enormously in-favour of this idea - as I've not actually DONE it I guess I'm not really in-favour myself - but I do think there are ways it could be done without annoying anyone but the most 'fervent nerds' (who will - frankly - moan about anything!).

I dislike addons which call for healing or mana or whatever into party/raid chat - generally it's not necessary and quickly gets annoying.

In terms of promoting Addons tho - I think if it were done CAREFULLY and with an obvious way of disabling it - it's not actually a bad idea in itself.