View Single Post
05-22-10, 10:45 AM   #19
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by datahedron View Post
Besides, you need your FULL BNET email to "friend" anyone, and that's half of the base login info for your account. With Blizz being so concerned about account privacy, why the heck would they use this? It would be much simpler, and safer, to simply use a BNET alias instead. Even with an authenticator, I'm not giving out my email to anyone...
Your b.net email address is only used once during the friending process. Once it's used to connect you as Real ID friends then it isn't displayed again anywhere in game , in your friends RealID interface or in your friend's friends RealID interface.

I do believe the whole process is done via internal battle.net account numbers.

I was having problems getting on the PTR so I asked Shefki for help as he was able to get on the PTR fine and he uses a mac as well. When he logged in under my battle.net account he told me that new folders now appear in the WTF folder in the accounts folder. He said he had a 5 digit number folder in there and I had a 7 digit number folder in there.

So I think this would mean that if you are "forced" to give out your b.net email address to someone you don't consider a friend you could always change your b.net email address and they should still stay on your RealID friends list.

It's a good security practice to change your battle.net email regularly anyway - it's easy , takes no more then 10 minutes and changes the login name for your wow account instantly
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)