View Single Post
06-02-08, 08:10 AM   #19
Kaomie
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Beats me Mazzle. If you except bags and keyring content I guess everything else could be retrieved from the Armory.

However Magelo Sync does more than collecting data, it also seems to act as a bridge between WoW and the Magelo site: depending on live contextual data (zone you enter, mob you are fighting) it displays the appropriate additional information and gives links to the corresponding pages on the site. Again this is a very good idea, but it still breaks WoW ToS.

Nonetheless I am pretty sure they could come up with a very similar product and service using an addon or set of addons. You may not be able to directly click on links to open web pages, but it could be close enough. It is not like we did not have those discussions regarding addons pulling info from external databases, so they do exist already (and so far have been ruled to be okay).

I was thinking they used an external app to better control access to the information based on subscriptions (after they get out of beta), but if the website is designed appropriately it should not even matter at that point. Maybe it was just all a matter of offering the easiest solution for users with an all-in-one simple app.

Hopefully they just overlooked the WoW ToS based on their experience with EQ, or like you said we are missing something somewhere.

Last edited by Kaomie : 06-02-08 at 08:18 AM.