View Single Post
02-08-07, 04:00 PM   #11
Gemminie
A Fallenroot Satyr

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just a few things I like about MazzleUI:

Humor!

"Greetings!" says Mazzlefizz, waving, as the Mazzifier pops up. Amusing directions, and then she casts her spell ... and then you have to push her button to continue; no innuendo there! /moan /cheer /dance, Mazzlegasm!

Little waving Mazzlefizz on the corner of the config window!

Wonderful FAQ text! "Oh, and you are odd."

Little 3D models that occasionally /wave, /rude, /roar, /laugh, etc.!

Space!

Always one of my biggest problems -- each addon means something else that takes up screen space and covers up more of the game. What's more, my computer's wasting all this time rendering stuff that I can't see anyway.

MazzleUI has 2 kinds of interface elements:

1. The stuff that's packed at the bottom of the screen

2. Stuff that's hideable

and WoW doesn't bother to draw that stuff at the bottom that's covered up.

All the best!

MazzleUI's got a lot of mods packaged with it that are the top of their field.

Cartographer is the best mapping addon I've ever seen -- it handles resource nodes better than CT_MapMod, and it can track questgivers, vendors, chests, and even fishing spots, and any of these things can be set as a waypoint that shows you right on screen where to go with a 3D arrow.

Baggins is awesome for handling your inventory, organizing things into categories and sorting them by quality. Imagine the time I've saved at vendors because "Trash" is always lined up in the same place! Sometimes it gets a little confused by herb/enchanting/engineering/mining bags, but not enough to detract from its usefulness.

FuBar is just an awesome architecture for lots of little addons, providing a unified interface to all of them. They all work the same way! And it hides itself when you don't want it around.

ItemRack is an extremely flexible gear handler, letting you define gear sets for different situations and responding to events by auto-switching your gear for you. I was using Outfitter, which can optimize automatically for maximizing a stat, a resistance, spell damage/healing, etc. I'm not sure ItemRack can do that; I think it makes you set it up yourself. But Outfitter has its problems; it doesn't deal well with gear in engineering bags, for instance.

Bongos is a great toolbar mod, letting you break your toolbars into lots of little pieces and define keys for them by actually pointing at the buttons instead of going through menus. I was using Bartender3, which is really good, but I think Bongos is better.

Surprises!

The first time somebody pinged my map and I saw an actual arrow showing me what direction that was in, I thought, "WHY did nobody think of that before?" Well OK, actually, first I thought, "WHOA what the heck is that arrow?" Then it dawned on me.

I kept hearing the "level up" sound because I kept getting records on all my abilities, until finally that tapered off. But then I looked at my stats -- it is so nice to have that information! Now I know when I'm doing more damage, and when I only think I am.

Anyway, I'm sure there are things in MazzleUI that I haven't even discovered yet. Wonders yet to behold! Great work, Mazzle!