View Single Post
04-18-07, 07:18 PM   #2
Shirik
Blasphemer!
Premium Member
WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Wintry
I was thinking; now that the SendAddonMessage function can send addon whispers, what are your thoughts on things that could be done in the future, using this functionality?

One thing I thought of - and I'm sure many others did too - is that you could now query others whether they have a particular mod (not in a way that would invade privacy). Take FlagRSP for example (I think - haven't used it though), where one can ask another player 'do you have FlagRSP?', and if it does, then it can transmit details back (and if not, just timeout). This wasn't possible before, as either it had to be done in a channel, or through whispers - but if that person didn't have the mod, then they'd get rubbish on their chat log.

Any more thoughts?
This is very possible, and has been done, before. Simply create a hidden channel, and bam, you can determine who's using a given mod.

SendAddonMessage() hasn't always existed, SendChatMessage() used to be the preferred (and only) way for inter-user communications. SendAddonMessage() has diminished that somewhat, but some still use SendChatMessage() to this day, and there are addons which use hidden channels to accomplish what you've said.

The only thing the new functionality is going to change is the ease with which certain operations can be done.
しりたくなかったんだ
It's my turn next.

Shakespeare liked regexes too!
/(bb|[^b]{2})/