View Single Post
11-04-09, 04:23 PM   #69
Republic
Paladin

Originally Posted by Vyper View Post
Just because all distractions can't be enforced or avoided, doesn't mean we should allow them all.
Explain.

Really? I don't even notice when I adjust the volume on the radio, hitting those little buttons on the phone on the other hand...
The point isn't about your ability to work your radio. It's more about some other guy's inability. All it takes is a split second to lose control of an automobile. If we're going to let this go because it's only a distraction to "some", how is it that we aren't applying the same standard to texting? I mean, some people might be really adept at it. Ya know?

Really? Not being able to text while driving is taking away your liberty?
Yes. Check the very definitions you linked. Read the first line. Removing freedom is removing liberty.

I also can't walk into a bank wearing a ski-mask and packing a hunting rifle to deposit my paycheck. Help, help I'm being oppressed! (Note: no one will ever die from my performing these actions, well, except maybe me when the bank guard shoots me)
Are you really comparing criminal activity to texting? If it's legal to carry firearms into a bank where you live, that's a personal liberty you have that should be defended as any other rights you may have anywhere else. I'm guessing it's not though. Oppression really has nothing to do with giving up personal liberty. People voluntarily give it up all the time, sometimes not even knowing it.