View Single Post
06-03-07, 02:19 PM   #15
thermitesnipes
A Murloc Raider
Originally Posted by Shirik
Read the question first...

Anyway, like has already been said, it's not directly possible, intentionally. The best you can do is estimate where it might be, but even that is difficult as you only have a set of bracketed ranges you can use, and on top of that, it could be anywhere within that radius (you don't have to be facing something for it to be in range). Thus, even though you see the mining nodes far before you actually get to them, gatherer will not record it until you've tapped it, for the sole reason that it is far too unpredictable otherwise.

The reason this hasn't already been done is because it's impossible. There is no system for getting any coordinates; you can't tell "how you move." If you tried to use that function, it would return nil in an instance.

One thing I want to comment on is using getting a playter position in an instance. I dont want to use that function, instead create a algorithm to estimate on an interface where you are in an instance. You can use metamap to see a map of an instance but I want a node to show on that interface where you are. for seperate instances you would need a start position for the algorithm to read, and somehow read your movement by the buttons you press and for how long, But it wouldnt only be useful in instances, it could be useful for something else....but im not sure of it yet or if that is even possible...so ok this idea is totally dust.