View Single Post
09-10-12, 08:48 AM   #11
OrlyYarly
A Murloc Raider
*sigh*

A) Thanks for creating a great addon and having maintained it as long as you did. Hopefully you can be more responsive going forward.
B) However, if you're not playing WoW anymore and can't do timely updates you should hand it to the community or bring some additional people into the team to keep it updated.

Additionally.. all this yip yap of copyright talk is such a waste of time. If I decide to take this addon, fix it, call it my own and put it up for people to download for free - exactly what are you going to do? Hire a lawyer to send me a cease and desist letter? (assuming you can find me) /twirl Then what? Actually sue me? Good luck with that. I mean, seriously good luck with that. You're not selling a product so my giving it away does you no financial harm to sue me for. (Good luck proving I'm hurting your 'donations') All you have to go on is the fact that I stole your code and reused parts of it in my own updates. I'm not selling it, so you couldn't get me for receiving any type of gain from your work. So again, feel free to say how badly I'd be breaking the law and how much trouble I could get in. The reality is yeah, it's a dick thing to do, but there's jack you can do about it.

Should you keep disappearing for months at a time in a period where WoW is going to be doing major updates, then don't be surprised if it happens. You've made a great addon which many people depend on and if you're not going to keep it working, someone else will. If you're still receiving donations for the work then you have a moral responsibility to keep it working for people giving you their hard earned money, or to offer it to the community so they can.

The next person might not be as nice as Rythal in making repeated attempts at contacting you, telling people they should send their donations to you if they wanted to donate, and saying he didn't want to take it over.

There's no question it's "yours". Nobody ever debated that.