View Single Post
09-19-12, 10:14 PM   #18
semlar
A Pyroguard Emberseer

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I don't mean to be contrary, but parts of carbonite are undeniably obfuscated.

The tables Nx.GuD and Nx.ZoC are encrypted, for example. Whatever data they contain is not readable without reverse engineering it.

Nx.Que1 is over a million characters long and also contains encrypted data.

It's not as obfuscated as it was when they sold licenses for it, but to say it's "in no way hidden or obfuscated" would be a bit of a stretch.

The entire script is also clearly still written in a way to make it extremely difficult to figure out what a given function actually does, which if I understand the ToS correctly (and I must not) is not acceptable.

I don't personally care one way or the other whether carbonite or any other addon is obfuscated, but if blizzard cleared this one then the rules are far more lax than they appear.

This does not go against Blizzard because everything is still visible, accessible and given enough time and attention, someone (like Rythal) could go through the whole code and decode it all if they wanted to.
I want to address this point as a programmer. It's literally not possible to write an addon that couldn't be reverse engineered, so that's kind of like saying anything goes. In order for the script to work in-game it has to contain all of the necessary instructions to decode itself.

Last edited by semlar : 09-19-12 at 10:37 PM.