View Single Post
06-18-17, 06:56 PM   #1
Arcinde
A Defias Bandit
"script ran too long" out-of-combat after 7.2.5

I've been getting a "script ran too long" error with several addons after 7.2.5 hit. Interestingly this happens out-of-combat which is strange because I thought that the addon execution time limit applied only in combat.

Here are pastes of the errors:
If you look at the lines where this is happening in Details, you'll notice that they are expected long-running functions (collectgarbage, UpdateAddOnMemoryUsage) that are surrounded by a `not InCombatLockdown()` clause. The Details author clearly had the same idea as me, that addon execution time limit is only enforced in-combat and it should be safe to call these expensive functions outside of combat. I know ArkInventory has some coroutine-stuff that yields in combat when it would otherwise hit the script execution time limit, but does not do so outside of combat.

So does anyone know, what has changed in 7.2.5 that causes script execution time to sometimes be enforced out of combat? This doesn't seem to be a consistent thing since if I type in chat something like
/run local x=1 for i=1,5*10^8 do x=x+i end
it will happily run for 4 seconds without any errors (as long as I'm not in combat).