View Single Post
08-11-10, 04:45 AM   #1043
Krahg
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I really do want to participate in the beta but I simply have not been invited yet. My neighbor has been invited and we installed the client on my computer so he can play here, since my computer is much better than his laptop. I still can't play though because it's his account and I also do not understand most of the Korean. (actually a lot of my friends that live here do not have really awesome computers at home, they tend to go to a special business called PC-Bang to play computer games.)

Anyway, it downloaded excruciatingly slow for us. I used the uninstall feature in windows control panel and deleted everything in the install folder, then deleted the files downloaded the first time I installed it. The first time, before the launcher update installed in less than twenty minutes. Anyway the second download really appeared to be EXACTLY the same files. After about four hours he must leave and go home and it was at about 20%.

I noticed something though, I decided to play Starcraft (I own a SC2 license) and the performance was terrible. I tried to 'pause' the download but it deleted the folder in program files and when I restarted the download it was at 0% again.

The other thing was that it was going really slow, but after I restarted SC2 it downloaded in about 45 minutes. To test that out I deleted the files and did it again with SC2 running and it took about 45 minutes again. (I deleted another 15gb download... in other words we have downloaded this four times now trying to test this out and see if it is the case) Plus I downloaded it again on his laptop with Diablo II running, but didn't notice any speed difference. Might totally be a coincidence, but I thought I would like to share.

After that point about 15 gigabytes where in the installation folder and about 700 in the download folder. I started the launcher and it claimed it was going to download another 15 gb and that took another hours.

When that completed the installation folder was about 15 gb. The launcher says it still needs to download 4.1 gb (and looks a lot like the screenshot on wow.com)

My neighbor is out of town, so I haven't actually been able to see the game loaded more than 10 minutes since then, but I notice that now every time he zones into a new zone the textures take a long time to load. The character is floating in the middle of space for instance. After about twenty seconds the textures start to load.

Maybe I should not post this here, but I don't have access to the beta forums to post there, but it seems like the kind of thing others might be interesting in knowing what to expect. Say the word and this will be gone (or you can just moderate it away)

I guess I will delete it and download it again, since that's all I can test... lol. Something is better than nothing.

Last edited by Krahg : 08-11-10 at 04:51 AM.