View Single Post
12-13-10, 05:48 PM   #30
projecthate
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Chincoteague View Post
Just loaded the beta.

After reading the notes in forum, i opened up the carbonite.lua file to make the change to the line of code.

i'm not familiar to code, but after reading to confirm my understanding of the code change (to add the ' -- ' ) in front of the line, I headed to line 8604

I did not find that line of code there.

I did a FIND and confirm line 7826 for my file.

I am hoping that this will fix the issue, as it certainly did exist prior to making this change.

I am about to find out. :-)

As for most people playing WoW, they might be "gamers" but they are not coders, so they need the Coding for Dummies comments provided so they can understand exactly where to go, what to open, etc.

Some people piece it together... most will not or have a fear of screwing things up worse.

Be patient and remember that your audience might be an 8-year old... who whooped you in PvP yesterday, but still can't comprehend coding... or maybe it's an adult who has no clue what Lua means or does.

Thanks for the posts!
~Tex
I'm not sure if you're interested for this example or future examples... but here's a brief explanation.

Every programming language has some sort of formatting that allows you to "comment" certain portions of code out. In Lua, the language wow addons run on, this is "--" for a single line and I believe you would use "--[[" and "]]" to span multiple lines. In any case, when the code is interpreted it will ignore commented portions. So effectively by commenting this line out you're telling carbonite to NOT print out the information about spell casts.