Thread: Carbonite 5.0
View Single Post
09-29-12, 12:24 PM   #113
davie261
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
Originally Posted by Destructor2012 View Post
My 2 cents...I see the author(s) posted an update. That's good. What's bad about it is not bothering to answer about whether there would be an update for MOP or not. If they didn't know, all they had to say was "I don't know." I understand real life takes precedence and all of that, but if you're so busy that you can't even spare a couple minutes to post a simple status update, then perhaps it's best if you relinquish the project to someone else. I get that it's your addon, your code, etc., but like I said, since you apparently do not have the time to properly maintain it and respond to bug reports, feature requests, etc. and by your own admission do not play WoW anymore, then it should be passed off to someone else. A lot of the great addons over the years have gone through similar situations, so it's not like this would be the first one for that to happen to. If you want to keep the addon up to date and maintain it and respond to the community, great, but if you can't do all of those things, then pass it off or simply let the project die and something better will come along eventually, like with many other former addons. Cartographer is a good example of this.
One more cent added:

Being a long time user of this once awesome tool to help me in my game play, after many years of depending on it as my #1 addon for WoW, and even donating real money years ago, I believe it is time to let go.

I found myself trying to still hang on and play with this broken pieced together mess of code, patched just enough to keep it from dragging the game down to 2 fps with errors everywhere. I understand it is the baby of a couple coders who wanted to make the game better for themselves and us back in the day when they created it, but as I have seen in several quotes from the original author, they don't play the game anymore, do not check the forums, or where even aware there was new content coming that would certainly break their once beautiful baby to the point of being unusable

Even after the latest release on 9/10, and the patch from Rythal, it is still an old and broken, and for today's standards, mess of code.

Do not get me wrong, I agree 100% this addon and code belongs to the original owners and they have every right to keep it. They have no obligation to me or any one else to continue to update it. I have more than gotten every one of the few dollars I donated, and am forever grateful for the awesome tool they created many years ago... but it is time to let go.

So I will. I will try probably in vain to find 3 or 4 addons to replace this one. The map will be hardest to replace but everything else is out there and updated. I will keep an eye on this website as well as Rythal's, who deserves alot of credit for sticking his neck out to try and make it usable /cheers. Unfortunately, looking at the mess that can be loosely called code, it is beyond repair, needs to be redone completely and I do not see that being done by Faatal. Even if he patches it again, I am done, so farewell Carbonite, I will miss thee old friend /cry.

Last edited by davie261 : 09-29-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: One more cent added..