View Single Post
09-24-10, 08:58 AM   #8
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
Featured
I can quote things, too.

Originally Posted by Marthisdil View Post
Someone whose account is compromised for WoW, didn't happen because someone "hacked" Blizzard or Blizzard's databases. If someone were to have done that, there would be massive numbers (and when i say massive, I mean MASSIVE) of people reporting their accounts being "hacked". Not the trickle there is now.
That would be hacking Blizzard's servers. Not someone's account.

To answer your questions - no, I've never been hacked. And I've never had a virus on my computers. Because I use my head. I know not to go to links from Blizzard-looking emails. I verify the site I'm going to is actually the site I'm wanting. I don't click on random links to the WoW Armory and enter in my credentials.
These are not the only ways to have your account compromised. Read above for an example about flash ads and zero-day exploits.

Being lax MEANS you're stupid. The definition of lax (not strict or severe; careless or negligent shows that you're lazy, inattentive, not caring.

People using the same password everywhere. Going to random links, seeing a battle.net-looking login screen and entering in their credentials. People falling for fake emails, where just a cursory bit of attentiveness easy show they are fake, etc = stupidity.
I would say that those two words have different meanings... Not to mention that calling someone stupid on these forums goes against our rules: 1. Post with respect and courtesy. Debate is fine ... so long as when you disagree with someone, you respond in a civilized and constructive manner.

That's fine - if you wish to continue doing the interpretation in your head, you can. I do it too. When they say "I was hacked" my brain translates it to "I was stupid, did something I shouldn't have done, but I refuse to admit any fault of my own - so I'll blame someone else and say "hacked"."
I am sorry for the way in which you see the world. Yes, I agree that some people simply do not think before risking their account. But to think that everyone who has their accounts compromised acts this way is just naive.

My interpretation is the correct one, and you know it.
Just because you think your opinion is the only correct one, does not make it so. That's a great lesson to learn and carry through life.

Now. This thread is not about how people can get hacked or who gets blamed. It is about a new feature that enables you to lock your account quickly in the event that it gets compromised. I'm tempted to just delete everything here that's off-topic, but I hope that some people can learn something from the discussion.
"You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Things Are As They Are." -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh