Thread: General Chat
View Single Post
12-27-15, 01:12 AM   #26
MunkDev
A Scalebane Royal Guard

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by semlar View Post
They're currently secure frames, but the actual part that you click on to select a unit is the WorldFrame itself.

You click "through" the nameplate frame to interact with something.

I'm not sure how your example would be much different from tab targeting, but you could probably write something that cycles through nameplates if you didn't care what order it did it in.
Yes, I know they're not actually clicked, but let's just say that you could do :GetAttribute("unit") on a nameplate in Legion (or something to that effect to extract the unit ID). That could be used securely, which is great news for me. Assuming, of course, that nameplate IDs can be used to target something.

My example is not cycling through targets. It's sending directional information to the secure environment using a wrapped preclick snippet. By gathering all the unit frames drawn on screen and where they are drawn in a secure table, I can iterate over that data to determine the next unit frame to jump to. The action button that was clicked gets that unit frame's unit ID assigned to it and then targets that unit in the onclick script.

If nameplates behave similarly to unit frames, are secure AND have IDs, this means I could accurately "tab" to a target with, for example, the arrow keys on the keyboard. Jumping from one nameplate/target to the next would only require me to press the arrow key that's pointing in that general direction. If the nameplate is nameplate3 or nameplate22 doesn't really matter, since it's all based on their on-screen position. Probably pretty useless in most cases, but could be useful for controller gameplay since tab targeting is somewhat unreliable.

Another good use of this system (if it works according to this hypothesis) would be to create a grid of custom nameplates (if that's even possible), sort of like raid frames but for nameplates. Could potentially simplify targeting specific mobs in a large pack instead of trying to single out that mob with the mouse cursor. You know, if they aren't forcibly following the target's head.

Last edited by MunkDev : 12-27-15 at 06:43 AM.