View Single Post
03-22-09, 08:41 AM   #222
Sichae
A Defias Bandit
Originally Posted by shdwphnx View Post
This is not really a good comparison. The resources used by most add-ons actually come from your computer, not from Blizzard. A better analogy would be to say that it's Blizzard's streets you drive your car on, and that they are trying to dictate what you can have inside your car. Certain restrictions make sense such as no overly loud horns (no add-ons that spam other players). They have no business telling me AM radios are fine, but I cannot have FM.

True, Blizzard definitely has the right to disable add-on functionality. Again, it is not really their house though. Going back to my street analogy, Blizzard has the right to widen or narrow the roads, add stop lights, etcetera. However, that is not what they are doing with this policy. I personally feel this is more like them telling me that blue cars are forbidden, and only green ones are allowed.

Shdwphnx
Nothing wrong with green cars. :P Didn't really mean resources, as in hardware, but resources as in using their addon functionality to allow addons to exist. They could remove addon installation altogether if they wanted to (which seems to be the case as we are seeing more and more things added into the game that were once only achieved by addons eg. Theat in tooltips, SCT, quest info in tooltips, gear managers). Streamlining the policy to make it more appealing to their shareholders and new merged company (in a fiscal sense), putting in place potential roadblocks for scammers, and making legal maneuvers shouldn't really be receiving this much negativity and hullaballoo. It happens everyday.

Last edited by Sichae : 03-22-09 at 08:43 AM.