View Single Post
05-30-09, 09:12 AM   #20
stormkeep
Drunken Dorf

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Yhor View Post
Okay, so we have established the fact, according to Stormkeep, that I'm foolish. I didn't read every detail of what my OS updated.

Now, is there a way to disable the excessively annoying "Updates are ready for your computer" messages? I use a 3rd party firewall / security, because I know MS products fail with actual security, so I'd be comfortable with not getting updates IF I did not have to see that annoying frigging message every time I turn around.
There absolutely is. In the settings for automatic updates (how you get their varies depending on your version of windows) you can choose "Never check for updates."

It is a good idea to actually run windows update and manually check now and again...most of their updates are a good idea to install. But at the same time, you already know MS products fail at actual security, so it's also a really good idea to make sure you find out what they are installing first. There's a reason large corporate IT departments don't roll out updates until well after MS puts them up. So other users crazy enough to use auto-update find all the problems first. Such as the one that started this whole thread.