View Single Post
04-15-09, 07:24 PM   #412
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Tekkub View Post
guice, yes I actually AGREE that WM is a pretty good program (I don't like that it mass-updates TOC numbers though. It should just force the "load outdated" on at all times). If they were to work with WoWI I'm sure the first thing they would get is a minimal-bandwidth method of finding out an addon's version and date. But that would require them to give back a certain chunk of their ad revenue (most likely something they'd work out as a flat per-megabyte-used rate), which would likely require them to put in more advertising or even a "premium" version like Curse is planning.
I'm still questioning how much of a "work-with" WoWI supplied. The first post stated they asked WM to stop. As far as I know, it went no further than that. Asking somebody to stop is not working with: it's the exact opposite. It is asking nicely, but not "working with."

As for ad revenue. Anybody that understands the nature of the internet and business models, economics (I'm not expert, but I understand) knows that ad revenue is one of the worst business models around. Sure, you can get lucky with it and make some money off it, but as users find more and more ways to block ads or just ways to ignore them in general, it'll fall. Ad-revenue based business models are destined to fail. The only question is when.

So complaining about taking away ad-revenue is the same thing as saying "I'm not smart enough to think of a better business model, yet."