View Single Post
04-16-09, 05:52 PM   #525
guice
A Cobalt Mageweaver
Originally Posted by Raventiger View Post
No sites are not irreplaceable. Neither does the cash to maintain those sites grow on trees. So in the situation you present, sites that don't block WM simply go under due to WM's leeching and some other poor bugger puts a site up and has to pay WM bills instead.

Here's a novel idea, how about WM paying their bills and using their own bandwidth? Problem solved.
You apparently seeing only side of the coin here. How about this? Building a system that makes it impossible for WM to leach the bandwidth that it does? How about building an API to access add-on information? Hosting the files on a CND who's sole purpose on the internet is to distribute files? At, I might add, a traditionally much lower costs than the average webhosts.

And, to be quite honest, my ideas may not be the best or even only solution. There are always solutions that we can't see. Dolby, himself, admitted to not looking into CDNs. It may be the very solution he's been looking for all these years. Or it may not. /shrug. I don't know the site statistics to say.

Still. The point here isn't to "make WM Pay!" but to build a business model where these "leaches" aren't a problem. You sound like Newspapers: make everybody pay for news, that way they can stay in business!