View Single Post
06-17-10, 01:13 AM   #12
Olog
A Murloc Raider
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
This indeed sounds very much like what AVR did but possibly ignoring one dimension. I haven't been to the test server so I don't know for certainty which of the camera cvars are disabled but my understanding is that all of them, that is you can't even get the distance.

Camera distance also does matter on where the point of interest will show up on your screen. For example supposing that the point of interest is one yard in front of your character and camera is 20 yards away. Now regardless of which way you're facing the point will appear almost at the center of the screen. And camera pitch also affects the X-coordinate of the point.

If the distance to the point is much bigger than camera distance then the error will be small and you can ignore camera position relative to player. So if the point of the addon is to aid in navigating to quest areas etc then you can probably do that just fine without taking into account camera distance. The error will only become significant when you're already very close to the point.

As for field of view angle, WoW has a constant vertical field of view (except when you're drunk). In AVR my projection plane is 0.98 yards away and it's 1 yard tall. That gives about 54.1 degrees vertical angle. The horizontal angle then depends on the aspect ratio of the world frame. A 16/9 aspect ratio gives about 84.4 degrees horizontal fov or 91.7 degrees corner to corner fov.