View Single Post
06-29-09, 07:02 PM   #11
Xrystal
nUI Maintainer

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
rofl, it was a learning curve I can tell you. My first addon was a simple one from the wowwiki site itself and is probably in that book somewhere.

Its just a small window that displays your gold balance and keeps it updated. Simple, but it introduces you to how events work and displaying items on the screen and positioning them. It wasn't until I started looking into modifying nUI to work with what I want that I delved further.

If you do decide to delve into one of mine you might want to look at TotemDeathWatcher and CatchAndThrow. They are my simplest ones but will only work for a shaman ( the former ) and if you have an item you can throw to someone and back ( the latter ). Both deal with events and displays messages or images on the screen. However I do use my own functions for the display but you should be able to see what the official functions are for it so you can in essence practice by removing my functions from the addon and replacing it with the blizz official functions directly. Loot Alerter is my biggest one and may be awhile before you want to delve into that lot And then you have the nUI based ones which would be useless to you except to look at my comments to the code I have there unless you have nUI yourself.

Actually you may be better off using my initial download of LootAlerter as that was before I did all the massive private functions. Its less than 400 lines (just) and is full of comments. So if anything try 1.01.00 of Loot Alerter and see where that takes you. Then you can see what I added at each update to make the addon grow.

Last edited by Xrystal : 06-29-09 at 07:05 PM.