View Single Post
08-06-14, 04:10 AM   #38
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Guys who think having written one successful addon means they're the next Curse Inc., obviously!

Originally Posted by Torhal View Post
That's what TenTonHammer did, via PMs here and on Curse. Going back to my competing stores analogy; it's basically the same thing, but in whispers from the next aisle. I actually banned the guy who was (mass) PMing authors on Curse, and Cairenn did the same here IIRC.
I was thinking less "spam everyone" and more personally contacting just a few authors of popular addons who are active on forums to begin with... a kind of "hey, I know your addons are popular and you are very active in the community, we are thinking of launching a new site, what do you think?" I was contacted that way (by email) once, and I gave the sender my honest opinion -- much like this latest site, they had absolutely nothing to offer me or any other addon author. I never heard back, and as far as I know the site never even launched.

Also, after looking around a bit more, I can't even imagine why this particular site was launched at all, in its current state. There are literally no addon management features. You can't even upload a file! I'd be better off uploading my addons on any old generic file-sharing site! And they've explicitly stated that they don't even have an estimate of when any of these so-basic-it's-really-a-bare-minimum-requirement-to-even-exist features will be available!

Using your analogy, they're at Costco trying to lure shoppers to Megamart, when Megamart hasn't even broken ground on construction yet. I'm just really confused now as to what could possibly have been going through the minds of the people responsible for this incredibly foolish and poorly-reasearched move...