Thread: EQ vs. WoW
View Single Post
06-30-07, 08:30 AM   #17
Errowynn
A Kobold Labourer
I played EQ from beta until late 2005 (6 1/2 years) before I quit. There were many reasons for leaving, the biggest I suppose was that my guildmates started leaving EQ for the greener pastures of WoW and EQ2. I was not in a power guild and to me EQ began a downhill slide for us when Planes of Power came out. There were so many zones that had level requirements that it began to divide the guild into groups and we really never recovered from that. LDoN expansion helped a bit because we could do expansion raids as a guild, but really by then most people were tiring of EQ and the constant need to revamp their computers with each subsequent expansion.

I've been playing WoW for about a month and a half. I started with a 2-week trial disk and found that I really enjoyed it. It is easy to solo and if you only have 45 minutes to play you can find things to do in a short amount of time. I also like the way trades skills work in that it doesn't take months of real time trying to level up your skill before you can craft useful items. Maybe the only drawback for WoW is that the enviroment is a bit cartoonish after EQ. EQ was the first widely played MMORPG and they put a lot into making the environment and characters look as real as possible. I know WoW sprang from the Warcraft series of games and the look basically carried foward.

Basically you have to do what will make you the happiest. One thing is certain, you can suspend your EQ account and try WoW for a few months and go back to EQ if you really don't like it. It doesn't matter how long you are gone from EQ, your characters will be just as you left then regardless of how long you are gone. I could go back today and pick right up with my lvl 65 Shadowknight if I had that desire.

Have some fun and give WoW a chance, I think you'll be happy you did.