View Single Post
12-07-11, 07:55 PM   #6
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There's also TortoiseGit, a TortoiseSVN clone for Git.

Personally, I use SVN, and find Git extremely annoying to work with.

1) SVN's workflow seems more logical: there is a single master repository on the server, I check out a local copy, I make changes to my local copy, and then I commit my changes to the central repository. Git's workflow is more complicated, and does not seem logical at all, especially for a single-author project.

2) SVN's revision numbers are directly usable as addon version numbers, and are intrinsically useful when providing support. For instance, if someone reports a problem with "r12" of my addon, but I know that I just released "r16", I immediately know that they are running an out-of-date copy and can tell them to update.

By contrast, Git identifies "revisions" with long hash strings that are useless for version numbering, and do not provide any information on their own. For instance, "e515c869e9ec8c6cbdfe252a5391d69e484c5234" is basically meaningless gibberish. In order to have any idea what it referred to, you would need to go look up a list of commits in your repository log.

3) Most libraries are hosted in SVN repositories, and svn:externals is infinitely easier to work with than either of the "equivalent" features Git offers.