View Single Post
02-25-09, 09:39 AM   #812
haste
Featured Artist

Premium Member
Featured
Originally Posted by Caellian View Post
I am not hostile, i am more than willing to learn things i don't know, but have you ever tried to learn without a teacher ?
Yes, I've completed several classes without a teacher. All I know about programming is also self-taught.
What were you expecting when releasing oUF, that it would only be used by some elitist community of what... 5 people ?
Well sadly that's not what happened and as a result you have to answer to some stupid players with stupid questions... yet, half of the time... you don't.
The only reason it was released was to provide some stability for the layouts that were posted here on WoWI. Right now I keep layout breaking changes in local branches, and merge them into oUF at a later point, so that at least bug fixes can be pushed without breaking layouts.

What I expected with oUF was to simplify the creation of different unit frame layouts for myself. To let me test a layout for a day, without having to redo all the core work every single time. The fact that other people started releasing their locked layouts into public was of course a stupid action by them. I did however modify oUF to allow people to toggle and update elements live.

The next argument here would be that there currently aren't anyone using the system, because they don't know how. But then again, I've yet to see anyone actually go on IRC, or here for that matter.

Why do I say IRC and not the forums? Well, I find forums to be horrendous applications. They are filled with features that destroy the flow of conversation and horrible solutions when it comes to text formatting.

And now I'm wondering away from the topic... so let's try to get back to your issue.

There are three ways to solve it:
1) Post a feature request asking for it. You already have the past on your side - it was there before. The reason I ask for a feature request is simply that I'll forget it if it's posted on the forums here, or just asked for on IRC. The end result will be that I either shoot down your idea on the spot or leave it open for consideration and implement it when I have the time.

2) Implement it through the PostUpdate. All the old code is on git. But as you know the UnitReactionColor table was removed, which means you have two solutions there.

2.1) Implement your own UnitReactionColor.
2.2) Use the table defined in ReputationFrame.lua.

3) Use a environment proxy to trick oUF into calling your function. You don't really want to use this solution however. But they look like this. Why mention is at all? It is a solution.

I could of course spend less time on this, and just write all three solutions and toss you the code, but then we're back to the fact that:
1) You don't learn ****. "It works, let's move on to our next issue!"
2) You get the opinion that other people will churn out code for your.
3) I don't have a third one, and my number two here contradicts with number one/two above, so let's move on to that.

You can consider it a loophole in my theory. The scope restrictions in oUF boil down to:
Does Blizzard do this in the default UI? Yes/No
Is this something that is commonly done for Unit Frames? Yes/No
Does it make sense to do this? Yes/No
How much work would this require? <insert LoC estimate>

The above is also used when it comes to answering questions in this thread. There are many more factors involved in that however:
Is this the original author of the layout?
What layout is this layout based on?
How does the overall code of the layout look?
Was the code provided relevant and if not - how much off was the poster?
How is the post written?

I also try to look at what questions aren't answered and what has been answered before. As we already know... I find forums (especially those that only allow BBCode and try do think formatting for you) -- horrendous.

EDIT: I really miss wowace, at least the community there was large enough so this would never happen...
What Slakah says is pretty much the case. I miss the days when wowace was just a developer community, with a couple of dedicated users.

Originally Posted by Krag72 View Post
What exactly are you expecting? I don't think it's a tremendous stretch to think that maybe Haste doesn't have time to babysit the thread and cook up tutorial examples for everything or even answer.
The time I have. I'm not going to use that argument here. I don't have the drive and motivation to spend time on answering questions and explaining why people should X and not Z. It's not a very rewarding task really.

Another issue is that forums aren't great for helping. When someone posts a question, I have to make assumptions because I can't really ask around the case.

Let's take the partypet/partytarget discussion a while ago as an example. The general problem seemed to be positioning (if I remember correctly). The easiest solution to that is to move over to the template, which allows you to define the relative positions of the frame before they are spawned.

The issue that arrived due to that change was the fact that children inherit the alpha of their parents. How can you fix this? Move back to the old solution. Ironic isn't it :)?

Point is, most posts are very vague. All I can do is to answer by assumption.

I think this post is long enough now, so I'm just going to stop here.

Last edited by haste : 02-25-09 at 09:44 AM. Reason: BBCodes are overcomplicated, and I suck at using the preview function \:D/.