View Single Post
11-13-08, 04:19 AM   #140
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Miletus View Post
You put it up for free; if you expected this not to happen, you're as naive as Microsoft.

If you don't let people include it with compilations, no-one will know about your mod. Or it'll go the way of DHUD where the author threw a tantrum and refused to update so other people rewrote it from scratch.
I don't write addons to win some imaginary popularity contest.

I also don't care if you use my code to write a new addon; the license under which I release my code explicitly allows you to do that.

Under copyright law in the US and most other countries, you have no rights whatsoever to do anything with a work authored by someone else. Nearly all software licenses grant you rights above and beyond that -- in effect, licensing is less restrictive than basic copyright. Essentially, the only restriction I place on the use of my work is that if you want to distribute it under the same name as my work, you ask me first. I'm not asking compilation authors to pay money to include my addon. I'm only asking for them to take a few moments of their time to show some respect for the time and effort I've put into developing and supporting my work, and ask for permission before redistributing it.

Take a look at the compilations on this site alone. How many of them are up to date? The majority aren't. How many of them have anyone providing active support? The majority do not. How many of them look like someone spent time fitting all of the addons together into a unified interface? The majority do not.

I can only hope that someday you will take pride in the process of creating something and sharing it with others, and then perhaps you will be able to move beyond your childish sense of entitlement and understand why I care how my work is used.