Thread: Update: 25 May
View Single Post
05-25-09, 08:28 AM   #11
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mordreade View Post
Why are you waiting on this guy to get around to this if he has other priority's?
I cant envision your addon updater being so revolutionary that this kind of wait should be tolerated. I say tolerated, because you continually tell him that "it's ok, you understand, it's no big deal, whenever your ready" when all he keeps saying is how he has to do this and that, but will get to the addon when he can.
Who else is going to do it? You do realize that WowInterface has a staff of 1 (one) programmer, one full time programmer and the rest of us are volunteer moderators. In addition to moderating, working, and living his life Shirik has taken time to write the addon updater and he's done a great job working out a framework that is extensible while still providing a good update experience.

The alternative is no addon updater, and since that's the process you use you are welcome to continue using it.

Truthfully, what you SHOULD have done, was work with WoWMatrix instead of killing it. They had the better updater period. All they needed was guidance from the affected sites to make everyone happy. But instead we are left waiting and wonting (Curse's updater sucks ass. period).
And WowMatrix should have contacted WowInterface to come to some sort of an arrangement. I am a moderator on this site and have been for over two years. In that time WowMatrix did not reach any of the site staff through the following means:
  • Email to Dolby, Cairenn or any other moderator
  • Site suggestion forums
  • Contact Us button at the bottom of the page
  • Private Messages

I am NOT saying that they did not attempt to contact us, but the burden was on them. If they didn't get through they should have tried one of the absurdly simple ways to reach us. Users do it on a daily basis, I fail to see how this would be difficult for the developers of a really successful updater application.

How are we supposed to work with them when there is no way to contact them directly, and they were in the process of ethically grey activity. Again, the burden is not on our site.

Rip me if you want, talk down to me cause you think i don't know all the ins and outs here, even try to win me over with more rhetoric.
I will do none of the sort, thank you very much. I can tell that you're a user who had a great updater application and you're pissed off that it stopped working. You are well within your right, 100%, absolutely. However that does not give you a right to be rude on the forums, especially towards the volunteer staff of this site.

I will keep manually downloading the addons i use (all 187), and useing adblock and a couple other little tools, so you don't get a single penny from me. You are right, thats petty and rather obstinate of me, but, customers get that way when you don't listen to them.
I agree, this is petty and obstinate but I understand that you are a user who is upset. It's very easy to put all of the blame for this situation on Curse and WowInterface because they triggered the "problem" as far as you see it; you had an addon updater that stopped working due to their actions. However you should know that many of the authors of those 187 addons you use, would have taken legal action or changed their licensing to stop WowMatrix either way.

The fact of the matter is, as an addon author I get to support the sites that host my addons for free by restricting my distribution. The services that are provided to me by WowInterface and Curse are very important to me, and do not come without a cost. I therefore choose to make my addons solely available at those two sites. When WowMatrix pulls my addons from the site without displaying the site's ads and replacing them with their own, I get upset.

We're all entitled to our opinion, what we are not entitled to do is to be rude to each other when there are relevant constructive ways to speak to each other.

Please keep it civil, everyone.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."

Last edited by Cladhaire : 05-25-09 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Fixed quotes