View Single Post
10-15-10, 03:16 PM   #18
Rpruden
A Defias Bandit
Post AMD vs Intel

Originally Posted by Nadini View Post
BTW in my Opinion AMD's are much better Gaming Horses then Intel ever will be. And i've used Intel Processors in the past, wasnt too much impressed with them, and Amd is a little bit cheaper, but give you better performance then intel does, But thats only my opinion, so take it for what it is.
I used to use AMD over Intel because they used to out perform Intel dollar for dollar, currently Intel just gets you a little more bang for your buck. You can save a few bones by getting the AMD but the processors overall efficiency will be worse.

There is a video on youtube of a guy running full quality on everything with the following specs. AMD Athlon II X4 630, 6gb ddr3 ram, an 800 watt PSU, an Nvidia GeForce 9800GT XLR8 1gb DDR3, and a 1TB hard drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKiZ6Wwyvo0

That AMD Processor is about $100 vs the i3 that is $113. The following benchmark below shows that the i3 out performs ALL of the AMD chips by quite a bit on WOW performance and all other games too. (bottom line Intel beats highly tiered AMD) This is pretty amazing considering that the i3 runs only 2 cores instead of 4 (wow only supports 2 anyways) and the i3 uses MUCH less power than the AMD. In the course of a year, the i3 will cost you much less to run in electricity. It is one of the most energy efficient processors that can be used for gaming. Check out the benchmarks below;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2901/13

You can build a solution to run WOW at full quality for SIGNIFICANTLY less than $2700. Like I said my friend just ordered a new setup for about $450, The only thing he didn't purchase was a case and video card, since he re-used his old ones. Add a video card and a PC case to that and you can have a pretty great gaming rig for WOW.

His specs are;
Asus P7H55 Motherboard - $89.99
Intel Core i3 530 @ 2.93 Ghz - $113.99
Nvidia GTS250 1Gb - $134.99
8Gb of GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 PC-1600 - $169.98
750 Watt PSU - $49.99
320 GB 7200 RPM WD HDD - $44.99

Total System cost: $603.93

Just add $30 - $100 for a decent case and you are good to go with a much cheaper machine that will run WOW at full quality.