View Single Post
08-18-13, 10:34 PM   #14
Cladhaire
Salad!

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Phanx View Post
I know it's your book and all, but table.getn and XML for simple frames? That's pretty outdated stuff, and there's no reason a beginner should have to learn both Lua and XML in this day and age to make a simple addon. If you want to trade opinions about how well tutorials written in 2008 have aged, take it to PMs; there's no need to derail this thread.
And that's your problem, you haven't read the book and you just blindly assumed that I would have been writing table.getn in 2007 and 2009. That isn't the case.. I didn't write the code that was posted above and its not fair or reasonable of you to assume that its solely the result of the book.

We can disagree about Lua vs. XML all you want, but I've been an educator for 10 years and I stand by the pedagogical style, progression, and path that I use in BOTH of the books. The second edition I am particularly proud of because of the refinements I was able to make on it. I use both XML and Lua to great effect and with the correct separation of concerns.

The book isn't the issue here, perhaps next time you could help someone without casting aspersions on something its clear you don't know much about.
"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well, and that's be you-- be what you're like-- be like yourself. And so I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark..."