View Single Post
02-23-17, 11:47 PM   #13
kurapica.igas
A Chromatic Dragonspawn
Originally Posted by MunkDev View Post
Have you ever heard the expression kill your darlings? Honestly, I agree with most of the sentiments in the old thread that Ketho posted. It seems you've put years of work into this project and I can tell you're proud of the result, but it's very unlikely this will gain any considerable traction among other developers. I'm not trying to be mean or anything; it's just not a very useful system in my honest opinion.

I don't think your code is easier to read or understand compared to the Lua most of us are used to. In fact, I'm struggling to even understand the syntax of it because it's so alien compared to how Lua normally looks. You obviously enjoy developing this framework, but I think this pretty solid case of overengineering is more for your own amusement as a programmer than it is a framework to be used by others.
That's why I abandon the IGAS(it require you know the PLoop), starting the Scorpio(You don't need know anything about the PLoop), creating classes is not an easy work, it'd be kept away from common authors.

The PLoop isn't designed for WOW, although it's started from the WOW, most features of it are designed for real life projects like web services. In an industry project, most workers shouldn't know details of the frameworks, they only need to know how to use it. You are using the Lua, but did you read it's C code.

So, forget the PLoop, it's used to provide low level features, the Scorpio is the addon framework, authors still can enjoy it no matter how it's working.

In the Scorpio's non-UI part, the main focus is how to organize codes around functions, there is nothing about the OOP.

For the UI part, the most codes will be just like :

Lua Code:
  1. local frame = Frame("MyFrame") -- Like CreateFrame("Frame", nil, UIParent)
  2. frame:SetSize(100, 300)
  3. frame:SetTopLevel(true)

If you know how to use the ui elements, there is no different for the Scorpio's UI.