View Single Post
02-04-15, 03:27 AM   #14
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Basil2 View Post
However, i got 9 spells named "Riptide", and only second (!) spell had correct number. I can understand 2 spells: spell itself and the buff. But 9 - I dunno what to do.
There are a number of reasons there can be multiple spells with the same name (and other spells, eg. Mortal Strike, have a lot more than 9). There might be different versions of it for different specs. If it existed before Cataclysm there are probably different ranks of it. Different NPCs might have the same spell with some differences, or no differences at all (because Blizzard Logic doesn't always correlate with normal logic ). At some point the spell might have changed, and Blizzard just created a new ID instead of changing the properties associated with the existing ID.

If you're on Wowhead, the ID you want will usually be obvious based on what category the spell is in. For example, when you search for Riptide you'll see:

- 1 Riptide in "Specialization"
- 5 Riptides in "Uncategorized Spells"
- 5 Riptides in "NPC Abilities"

You can immediately rule out the NPC Abilities, and 3 of the Uncategorized Spells (wrong icon). For player spells the ID you want will usually be the one under Abilities, Specialization, or Talent (depending on what kind of ability it is) but if you're going to use the ID to match buffs or debuffs, it could also be one of the uncategorized versions, since some spells apply an aura with a different ID. In this case, you can rule out the other 2 uncategorized Riptides because their tooltip text is wrong (one heals for a % of max health, one is missing the Chain Heal bonus).