View Single Post
08-13-10, 09:01 AM   #58
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Fenixhawk View Post
I realize that this is a very late reply, but I just found your post now by accident and I feel your pain. The common reply is always, "Check your PC - you're infected", but that's not always the case.
Because the EULA and TOS states that you are responsible for your login information.
Your PC is probably fine, but there is something that most users don't know about or don't care to admit: Blizzard employs many internal investigations staff who investigate internal employees for credit card and account fraud.
How is this proof that it isn't your PC ?

Yes they have an internal QA team watching over employee's actions. But it's no different from the audit teams employed at every large corporation. I used to work for a large corporation , Telecom NZ.

And yes they undertook regular audits of everything their employees did on a regular basis. Let me put it this way - would you prefer they didn't audit anything their employees did ? That they could do whatever they liked with no one to watch over them and make sure they weren't getting into mischief ? You would have the same situation when they made certain EQ players into admins (Cowboys btw)
Interesting article that one.

Easy read , fairly well set out , very well researched.

Only one problem though - in seven posts there is very little in the way of evidence in support of his arguments or even to refute the arguments he said he was going to refute. He does that trick where he quotes a statistic out of some study on Corporations but offers little in the way of hard evidence linking any breaks in user security on Blizzard's end.

His counterpart to the "Blizzard has never been hacked" argument ? "Nothing is perfect" ... along with no evidence of this ever happening.

His evidence of Blizzard experiencing internal problems due to employee fraud? Re-interpretation of 3 former Blizzard employees hyperbole on their linkedin profiles. Most of these job experience is listed from 2 years ago btw.

Part 7 is laughable - he links a interview with a former employee from December 2008! Again he uses the "you are wrong" without any evidence to back it up.

I will admit tho. The graph on part 2 is interesting but only because I'm too lazy to confirm his figures on no. of subscriptions to hacked accounts. Not sure about the federal and state laws saying that if Blizzard were compromised they would have to tell their customers. But they have been quoted several times on the CS forums by posters who had to research them , possibly lawyers.

His two central arguments seems to concentrate on (a) a perceived increase of hacked accounts posts in the forums and (b) old accounts being hacked.

Well the biggest reason for (a) is because you can now petition to get an authenticator a hacker has placed on your accounts by posting in the forums. That and "Red Car" syndrome.

IE Before you own a Red Car you don't see or notice red cars on the road that much. Then when you do buy one you start noticing them on the road as they are similar to yours. This is exactly what happens when someone gets hacked - you suddenly start taking notice of all the other "i've been hacked" posts just like yours and zomg it's an epidemic.

Trust me I read the CS forums twice per day , almost too much to be healthy. I've not noticed any large increase in "hacked" accounts.

IMHO this blog is just spreading Fear & uncertainty. With very little evidence.
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)