View Single Post
08-13-10, 09:17 AM   #59
Bluspacecow
Giver of walls of text :)

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
....Continued on from last post.

The problem with these types of blogs is it encourages the wrong sort of attitude in the end user.

They see this sort of blog and because it sounds very convincing to them they absolve themselves of any responsibility for the security of their login information.

It can't be their fault as there's nefarious employees giving our passwords out zomg zomg ! Never mind about basic computer security common sense. Yes they can have a battle.net email address of [email protected] , a password of password123 and don't have to do a thing to prevent viruii and malware from getting on their computer as zomg it's never their fault !!!! /sarcasm.

I could quote you their privacy policy from http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/privacy.html. I could point out that employees don't have access to your passwords anyway they are stored as hashs (I have this from a former employee). I can even point out that Apple had to recently admit to a security breach of theirs from a developer on their app store. Apple is way bigger then Blizzard and they still admited to their security fault.

But at the end of the day you either trust a major company with your information. Or you don't. And if you don't then why are you still paying them money supporting their untrustworthiness ?

It's like this:

You go buy an ice cream cone from a guy wheeling an ice cream cart through a park. You hand him money not only to get a cone but also in "good faith" that the cone he hands you is yummy , cold and free of insects,sand,dirt and/or used plasters. Your money is supporting the delicious cones he gives you.

Now someone tells you they got a cone with a bee in it one day. A family member tells you she once got a sticky plaster in hers. A friend tells you his was warm with a little dirt in it. Would you go back to the same ice cream seller ? Now you're not so quick to trust this ice cream seller. If you go back and hand him money for more cones despite yours being fine why are you handing the guy more money if you don't trust him ?
tuba_man on Apple test labs : "I imagine a brushed-aluminum room with a floor made of keyboards, each one plugged into a different test box somewhere. Someone is tasked with tossing a box full of cats (all wearing turtlenecks) into this room. If none of the systems catch fire within 30 minutes, testing is complete. Someone else must remove the cats. All have iPods." (http://community.livejournal.com/tec...t/2018070.html)

Last edited by Bluspacecow : 08-13-10 at 09:56 AM.