View Single Post
08-13-10, 09:45 AM   #60
Nefrirr
A Cyclonian

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Bluspacecow View Post
The problem with these types of blogs is it encourages the wrong sort of attitude in the end user.

They see this sort of blog and because it sounds very convincing to them they absolve themselves in any responsibility for the security of their login information.
Very nice post. I heard similar rumors already half a year ago ingame and also read similar accusations regarding Blizzard's account security in my raidgroup forums after two people got hacked.

People who get hacked are very quick to believe in such rumors, just so they can blame someone else. Voices of reason that argue against wild speculations are often ignored or ridiculed. But honestly, it should be obvious that security vulnerabilities on the user side are responsible for most hacks. Just ask yourself what is more probable:

(1) somehow I got a trojan due to some unpatched program I use or maybe I used my battle.net e-mail and pw in an insecure guild forum etc.
OR
(2) it is a conspiracy of malicious Blizzard employees.

Occam's razor says it's (1). Seriously, such theories are only one step above this lunatic over in the beta key give-away thread that accused the WoWI staff of selling beta keys while trying to (very clumsily) create the illusion of having some kind of credible source of it.