View Single Post
11-12-10, 02:57 AM   #11
Maziel
A Deviate Faerie Dragon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Cool

Originally Posted by Jooze View Post
Personally I dislake curse but hating would propably be taking it too far...
This thread isn't meant to be a thread of one site vs the other, I apologies if it feels it was meant to be. It was more about the clients each site has.

I agree with many of your points, except the minion client points.

Adverts I don't really have a problem with as I use a webbrowser that filters out all adverts (I need all the bandwidth I can get and filtered out ads before I even began playing Warcraft years ago). I did load up the sites in explorer to check out what you mentioned and yes, I agree. The ads are badly placed.

Javascript and flash I never really have had any issues with. Minion needs java, so don't see the real difference here. I got javascript, flash, java, all that jazz enabled and haven't had any issues.

Another reason I filter ads is as you mentioned, infections. There are tons of adverts out there that hide viruses and trojans in. Hell I even found some in facebook adverts which is all the more reason I decide to pre-filter my web experience (and it makes it faster to browser the web).

I agree, it is far too cluttered and shows tons of information about things I don't want to know about, aka warhammer or etc.

There also seems to be a double standard sometimes where a fan will go to tons of effort to fix up a broken addon, be unable to contact the author, and get denied on curse but accepted on wowinterface and then some other joe blow will rename the code, recolour a skin, upload it with no credit to the original author and curse will accept it. Just a lot of this double standard things going on over there I noted, where here, WoW Interface will respect the authors and help allow fans to maintain stuff for authors whilst the authors are away. The whole community spirit here in wow interface is better.

And trying to upload an addon over on curse is a nightmare to begin compared to here. Choose this license, do that, create this, but then go link that file, then do this, meh O_O! ~ Simplify it for pete's sake. WoW Interface has the right idea. Speedy approval times too compared to curse. But that all said, curse seem to have the latest versions of things, and that's probably due to the alpha and beta upload / downloadble type area which I think is needed here - and something I mentioned in the initial post about minion and it should have.

As for a client for wow, well curse client is, you dont have to set up any other game but wow for it. I don't agree with the junk mentioning for the curse client, but I do have the premium version of it so maybe it is different to your version of it.

Totally agree with what you write about the wowinterface community, I enjoy the community here more and the community here is extremely helpful.

The site is definitely better set out and easier to use, from both a user to an author and uploaded, things just seem to work and roll and fit together better here. My first time trying to upload an addon on Curse I swear to god I spent like three hours looking for an upload button which was eventually found on curseforge... >_< - sure may sound like common knowledge to people who know but a new person, searching curse and not connecting the dots between curse and curseforge... argh. Anyway, I got it now but took me ages the first time. - Compared to WoWInterface which took me like a minute to figure out where it was and what to do.

But all the things you mention about minion I don't agree with. It isn't easier, lacks features, shows old versions compared to what I got installed already (as mentioned in initial post) and no cool green monster will compensate for that lol.

My hope is the devs of the minion will read and get ideas and attempt to improve minion. Still got it installed, still will check it out but for me, it isn't really useable, especially if it is going to install older addons than what i got.

My real hope is that both WoWInterface and Curse get together to create a hybrid addon program that will check both their sites, offer up the latest version and let you install it.

Thanks for all who have read though, and the same for my posts, these are just my opinions based on using the curse client for a long time and now just testing minion out. ...And as you may have guessed from my post, even though I prefer the Curse Client, doesn't mean I prefer the Curse Site itself (no ill will to Curse, they do a great job and I'm sure they are doing their best, but I remember once suggesting something about the layout and felt like I got a new one torn for me, where as if you suggest anything to WoWInterface admins, they don't tear you a new one, they listen and are positive to hearing from their community, hence why I come here first. But go to Curse second to get updated versions >_> lol).