View Single Post
11-12-12, 07:47 PM   #36
Doskious
A Deviate Faerie Dragon
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by patrick51 View Post
To do what carbonite does it has to be self contained , Blizzard gives very limited info about The POI's. I For Google maps to work properly It has to have it own code Basically many of the add-ons are just overlays or changes to the frames. The reason why it can have Google maps and no one else's does is it is real code not just some overlay It does not modify the frame it totally replaces it with its own code and graphics

If you want accuracy in its quest tracking. or anything beyond just quest tracking
It will need to store the data in a data base if not you get quest helper light. The difference between the normal version and the version with a data base id night and day The same reason why Quest helper, Grail/wholly all use there own data base. For acuaracy and for features

Thank you nihm for the better explanation
I think that what Rythal is proposing is not what you may have interpreted... From what I've read, the primary goal is to trim down the self-contained code into a more modular set of easy-to-read segments ... of self-contained code. Put the map generation definitions together, identifying a zone or subzone with one unique identifier, for example (so that future programmers don't have to remember that 6012 *here* is 315 *there* and is tracked under 1087 in the *third* spot). Make the quest database modular and slightly easier to read and understand when looking at the data file, so that memory isn't automatically topped off with all the quests in Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms while out questing in Outlands... With an end result of a leaner-running addon that delivers the same functionality as the existing one client-side, while being easier for future developers to pick up and maintain.

I dunno, maybe I missed something. That's the sense I get from Rythal's remarks.

The sense I get from you is that you're concerned that the modifications being planned will result in a degradation of the client-side experience, and I don't think that's what's intended.