View Single Post
12-16-13, 08:58 PM   #26
Namora
A Kobold Labourer
why the grief?

I have read all the posts, and I think the main issue has been overlooked. Do we as a community stand up to rude and uncivil behavior, or do we turn a blind eye and abandon the victim of the abuse?
When I first received Scott's email inviting his newsletter subscribers to look into eco-geeks, I thought to myself, "more power to him." When you have something you care about, you want to share it with your friends, which in this case applies to the newsletter subscribers. Those that clicked the link to eco-geeks had two civil choices to chose from, donate to a cause they thought worthy or ignore it. All Scott asked was for you to go to the site and decide for yourself. He never demanded, cajoled, blackmailed, etc.. his friends to donate. He simply asked you to click the link and follow your heart. The fact that we are now at this crossroads is due to people taking the uncivil option of firing off hateful emails to Scott about his simple request.
Now put yourself in his shoes, not as a developer but as a human being. Are you going to smile cheerfully, ignore the insults and continue to be friends with these people that insulted you? No, and no one would expect you to. You would separate yourself from the hateful people and pull your "real friends" closer to you. This is all Scott said he was doing with his follow-up email. If you were not one of those haters that were put on his do not share list, you were to be added to the new, smaller list of friends. He did add an opportunity to enjoy the addon by donating to eco-geeks, so even the douches could redeem themselves, but for those of us that are civil and appreciative, all was still right in the world.
I thought this was done and over. Now Wow Interface is throwing their 2c in the ring punishing Scott for standing up for himself and choosing his friends a bit more carefully? All I can really say to that, (in a language even the haters will understand), WTF? NUI is still free, if you wasn't a douche. If the people that emailed Scott had written those mean things here on the forum, admin would have taken them down and banned the authors. But somehow it is ok to bully and demean a developer as long as it doesn't clutter up your website? I call foul.
Like others that have posted, I learned of Wow Interface through NUI, I can get my updates through emails from the author (like everyone else that signed up for the free newsletter) and never have to come back here. I do use this site for the convenience, and have found other addons here since. I do not condone the rudeness that has been shown to Scott and feel that it is important to stand by him in this.