View Single Post
06-30-05, 10:30 AM   #17
Beladona
A Molten Giant

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The fact of the matter is, regardless of popular opinion on the topic of what is and is not "botting", there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Most MMORPG games draw that line here...

Any period of gameplay in which the player can be engaged in activities (moving, fighting, looting, what have you) while UNATTENDED is considered "botting". Granted this is not cut and dry black and white, as there will be various cases in which people can argue that going afk alone is unattended gameplay (which is why they have auto-logoff timeouts). Another example is auto-follow although this is a necessary evil that most developers accept due to it's benefits.

Personally I feel that the autorun addon falls into the category of unnatended gameplay. While you may or may not agree, you cannot argue that it DOES in fact allow you to do something that you would otherwise have to do manually while physically at your computer. This is proof in and of itself that it DOES allow unattended gameplay in some form. Things like auto-follow is a mechanism that is part of the game without any third party programs addons, while this addon is something someone else developed and frankly allows you to do something the developers didn't intend to be possible...

Remember, they are not trying to take away something that is essential to your enjoyment of the game. They are trying to destroy avenues that botters can use to destroy your enjoyment of the game. Personally I would rather be present when my character is being played, as that is the whole point of playing a game in the first place. Otherwise you may as well pay to watch someone else play...

Last edited by Beladona : 06-30-05 at 10:32 AM.