View Single Post
10-10-16, 03:27 AM   #2
Phanx
Cat.

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes, your example is exactly how it worked before RegisterUnitEvent was introduced in MoP.

However, based on the event you chose as an example, I think you may be confused about what RegisterUnitEvent does. "Unit events" are events whose names start with "UNIT_" and whose first argument is a unit token. PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a "unit event", so you can't use RegisterUnitEvent with it anyway. In your example code, your event handler would never actually do anything, because the first argument for PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED is not a unit token; actually, it's not anything, since PLAYER_SPECIALIZATION_CHANGED doesn't fire with any arguments. You would only use RegisterUnitEvent for events like UNIT_AURA or UNIT_HEALTH. For all other events, you just use RegisterEvent.

On a side note, if you're already using a dedicated function for each event, there's no reason to use a vararg (...). It just makes your code harder to read (and adds some so-small-as-to-be-mostly-just-theoretical overhead). You know what arguments the event will receive, so just name them directly in the function definition:

Code:
function MyAddOn:UNIT_SPELLCAST_START(event, unit, spellName, spellRank, lineID, spellID)
    if unit == "player" then

end
end

Last edited by Phanx : 10-10-16 at 03:33 AM.